Short Term Total Disability Insurance
Short-term disability (STD) is an optional extra supplementary policy providing a monthly benefit from 28 to 90 days to compliment Loss of Licence insurance. Short-term disability benefit can be combined as part of a Fitness to Fly insurance policy.
Key features of Short Term Total Disability insurance:
- ELIGIBILITY: Aircrewcare stand-alone short term disability insurance is available to existing Aircrewcare Loss of Licence policy holders only.
- Short term disability benefit can be combined in Fitness to Fly insurance.
- Short-term disability cover is designed to provide a rapid loss of income benefit for those who prefer not to wait the standard 90 days.
- Deferred Period: 28 days.
- Indemnity Period: Two months.
- Maximum benefit: 60% x salary*.
- Maximum age: 60**.
- Benefit definition: Own Occupation.
- Benefit type : Accident and illness cover.
- Applications are subject to underwriting acceptance.
- Applicants will receive a separate Short-term Disability Policy document stating sum insured, premium and conditions.
*Maximum benefit from all sources, social welfare benefit deducted, if applicable.
**Applicant over age 60 must complete an offline medical application form.
Key Policy Conditions and Exclusions:
OWN OCCUPATION – any illness or injury which prevents the performance of the essential duties of your normal occupation, Airline Pilot.
Maximum Total Temporary Disablement 75% of salary, subject to a total maximum of 15,000 per month benefit, payable for 24 months followed by a Permanent Total Disablement (PTD) Lump Sum of your choice, 1x, 2x, 3x or 4x salary, payable where there is no prospect of an improvement in your medical condition to perform the essential duties of your normal occupation as an airline pilot.
Any claim arising out of or attributable to any disability, condition or illness for which an Insured Person has received or required medical or psychiatric treatment or counselling in the 24 months prior to the effective date of an Insured Person’s insurance, until a period of 24 months has elapsed during which time an Insured Person has neither received nor required any medical or psychiatric treatment or counseling for the said disability, condition or illness.
War, Terrorism or warlike action (whether declared or not), civil war, rebellion, insurrection or military or usurped power; Travel to any war zones not declared to, and accepted by underwriters; Nuclear, Chemical and Biological weapons or warfare; Partial disability; Bonus or commission; Loss directly or indirectly by Kidnap & Ransom; Attempted suicide or self-inflicted injury; Misuse of drugs or alcohol; HIV; Loss of Occupational Licence; Failure to pass a periodical aviation medical for anything other than bodily injury or sickness; Mental or nervous disorders; Workers Compensation; Maternity unless medical complications arise; Dependents; Regularly or extensively practiced hazardous sports including but not limited to: Boxing, Climbing/Mountaineering requiring ropes or guides or free climbing; All professional sports; Hang Gliding, Delta wing gliding and paragliding; Motorized racing of any form; Deep sea diving; Parachuting; Bungee jumping; Show jumping, steeple chasing, eventing or flat horse racing.
SHORT TERM TOTAL DISABILITY does not cover mental or nervous disorders or illness directly or indirectly related to alcohol, drugs or narcotics.